Monday, August 08, 2005

all alone is all we are


article on sincerity, authenticity, and grief in the ny times, dissecting last night's six feet under. think what you will about how manipulated you may feel when you're crying (for the second week in a row) over a fictional person's death and for their fictional family's loss, but what i have always loved about that show is how it addresses universal questions and and fears without seeming preachy or overwhelmingly depressing; in fact, the true point of the show is that we don't and can't know the answers, so just try to be happy. plus the show can be really, really funny.

so there are two episodes left. i don't know how they could possibly, satisfyingly wrap the show up in two hours. i do know that i will be mega pissed if any of the show turns out to be a dream (which is why my mom stopped watching dallas in the 80s) or the figment of an autistic kid's imagination (which is how i believe the creators of saint elsewhere wrapped up their show - all of these characters and events and such were invented by rainman).

fantastic shout-out to kurt cobain last night.

3 comments:

lostsatellite said...

I absolutely lovelovelove Six Feet Under...it has to rank up there as my favorite television show of all time...I don't have HBO, though, so I have to rely on the DVD releases in order to watch it (and checking them out from the library, at that)...

I don't like knowing too much in advance of what developments happen in the show, but it's been hard to steer clear of commentary about this season...the most recent issue Entertainment Weekly had to give away the death of Nate in a big box in bold print that I couldn't possibly overlook...that made me mad, when I have to wait another year before I can even get to the point of being able to watch how the rest of the series unfolds...I don't want to prepare myself for the emotional devastation...

but yes, that show has made me contemplate so many things about life and death and love, and has had me go through the whole gamut of visceral emotions...it is far from a passive experience, and far from a waste of time...I grow so much whenever I watch that show, and I resent it when someone like my dad thinks that I should have been working or cleaning my room instead...

so yes, I understand what you mean about it making you cry...it has mades me cry hot tears so many times...that's why I'm better off watching it by myself in the comfort of my home...I can't quite imagine sharing it with anyone else, because its too intimate to show that kind of vulnerability...

lostsatellite said...

I'm definitely interested in reading the article, but I worry about reading it in when I'm two seasons behind and don't want too much of what I haven't seen yet to be given away...should I be worried about such a thing, or should I go ahead and read it?...

scissors happy said...

no, you shouldn't read the article - it tells pretty much where everything was left, and a lot has happened in the last two seasons. even if you know who died, there is still a lot more to it.