Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"waiting for a superman" is my ringtone.


today's first shuffle song on ipod: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" - The Flaming Lips, from the Fight Test EP

yes, this is a kylie minogue cover. while kylie's version is robot-bubblegum pop, this is just a creepy and pained-sounding obsessive love letter with some awesome dramatic strings and spanish guitar. wayne sounds scratchy and crazy, just how i like him. the lips are pretty great at covers - the fight test ep has radiohead's "knives out" and beck's "the golden age."

the flaming lips = one of my favorite bands. i saw them at a radio station festival in may 1995 in milwaukee - they shared the bill with the ramones, bush, sponge (remember them? didn't think so), duran duran . . . hmmm . . . there were other bands, but i'm drawing a blank. i bet i wrote it down somewhere and it's saved in a plastic storage box in my parents' basement. this was back when "she don't use jelly" was a novelty hit. i was unimpressed, and little did i know that they would record my all-time favorite record, the soft bulletin, four years later. my brother kept telling me that i would really like it and i resisted, wondering how many "she uses vaseline"-type songs i could possibly enjoy, and he made me listen to it on a drive home from my grandparents' house on christmas eve of 2000. i sat in the backseat listening on headphones at like midnight with my jaw on the floor. i remember the car pulling into the driveway during "the gash" and i didn't want to get out of the car until the song was done. i became obsessed with this record. i bought it for everyone for christmas and birthdays, i listened to it constantly, and i sincerely believed it to be the most beautiful thing i had ever heard in my entire life. when i listen to this record i just remember everything about the spring of 2001: walking down jenifer street in dc, sitting in tryst smoking cigarettes while skipping work, amstel lights at the pharmacy bar. i couldn't not love this album if i tried.

i did see the lips again: once on easter (was that 2003?) and then a few months later in denver, when visiting my sister. liz phair opened, and then i talked to her and pete yorn at the airport the next day as we all waited in the security line (i was so impressed with myself). during both shows, wayne, whom i am in love with, wore his white preacher suit and covered his face with fake blood and made his nun hand puppet sing, and i just generally only have really positive things to say, and i hate gushing, so i'll stop.

the photo is a digital one taken from the crowd at coachella a few years ago (which i did not attend). the fearless freaks, the lips documentary, is next on my netflix queue, which i am excited for. i am surprised that i haven't seen it yet, but whatevs, i've been busy.

ps thanks for all of the emails and calls about my dumb eye. no surgery needed - apparently my retina is a tough little fucker and healed the tear/hole/injury with scar tissue a while ago, which is what my opthalmologist saw and freaked out over. you hear that? THAT'S how much of a badass i am - even my the backs of my eyeballs have scars and i don't even notice.

2 comments:

Sarah P said...

Hey, I remember Sponge. I have the album with Wax Ecstatic on it. They also did that song Molly, which I still love. I totally didn't remember that She Uses Vaseline was the Lips. How odd, b/c I do remember that song and hearing it all the time, but I didn't really know about the band at the time. And now I like them, but forgot that was their song. Kind of like when you later become friends with someone you knew OF years before. Or something.

lostsatellite said...

I have yet to see the Flaming Lips live, but it's absolutely something I have to do...I had one chance back in 1999, at the Metro, for the Music Against Brain Degeneration show...I saw Sonic Boom create the most amazing noise on Speak and Spells and Speak and Maths...I was introduced to music and wit and storytelling of the delightful Robyn Hitchcock, which I will be forever grateful for...I was really there for Sebadoh, and oddly I don't remember them all that much about their set, other than finding Lou Barlow very sweet and endearing...Wayne introduced all the different acts and was very cute ("Hi, I'm Wayne")...but we had to leave before the Lips played because one of the people I was with had to get home by a certain time...I will forever kick myself for missing that...

but I started listening to The Soft Bulletin, and holy crap wow...especially "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate"...

wanted to see them in May 2003, but the tickets were sold out by the time we got around to trying to buy them...I spent Thanksgiving of that year watching the colors on the screen to the music on Yoshimi...

when the heck is that Christmas in Mars movie going to come out?...