Wednesday, August 16, 2006

what i'm all about lately

1. being tan. i'm like powder in the winter, so any attempt that my skin makes to retain a golden hue is much-appreciated and loved. my visit to nantucket was very relaxing and em and i made good use of the 75-degree, cloudless, humidity-free days. some of my photos are throughout this post.

2. the UP! series. the premise of this ambitious documentary project is an old jesuit saying, "give me a child until he is seven and i will give you the man." the dude who later directed some hollywood movies started this series when he was in his 20s, where he interviewed 14 british children from different classes (almost all of them are white - one is biracial) about how they view life, money, "colored people" (this was 1964), marriage, the future, etc. the first is called Seven Up! and he followed up every seven years with the kids. i've so far watched them at seven, fourteen and twenty-one, and it is totally fascinating. i couldn't help myself from reading the wikipedia page (i had to know if any of them had died young or if terrible things had happened, because i cared about these people) and what's interesting is that quite a few of the kids (now in their 50s) dropped out of the project as the years went on, as they felt that they were improperly edited into being stereotypes (especially the posh ones), but i have only found so far that maybe they're just embarrassed by the attention they have received for being in the project, and ALL fourteen-year-olds are awkward and ALL twenty-one-year-olds think that they're right, and i'm glad that there isn't footage of me being that way (or maybe i wish that there was). it is really an amazing project - to get to see them grow up into people not totally dissimilar to who they were as children. there has been a ton written about what a life-affirming series this is - roger ebert said that "To look at these films, as I have every seven years, is to meditate on the astonishing fact that man is the only animal that knows it lives in time." love them. can't wait for the rest of them to arrive via netflix, and look forward to meeting them at 56 in a few years.

3. oh the glory of it all by sean wilsey. he's a mcsweeney's guy and his memoir of growing up crazy rich and crazy dysfunctional in 1970s san francisco is a great read. not as earnest and annoying as dave eggers, who i do admire when he isn't talking about himself. i just finished everything is illuminated and i must say that under-35 celebrated writer boys are so self-aware and precocious that their books become chores to get through. oh the glory has been a quick read so far - i just love the unfortunate tales of his self-obsessed glamour queen mom and his candy-spelling-esque stepmother.

4. this parody sketch (the suge knight of indie rock) starring aziz ansari, who i've had a crush on ever since he made the video of him carrying a boombox through manhattan, blaring shitty music (paula cole?) and trying to look normal.

5. reading about what pricks republicans are and them getting busted for making racist comments, and then being all, "what? you thought i meant THAT? NO, nononono, you have misunderstood me." well, douchebags, where i'm from, you don't say "tar baby" and you don't (sarcastically) welcome an indian guy to america (after calling him a name that may or may not have been an attempt at an ethnic slur, but being an idiot, it's unclear what he even meant). such dickheads, the whole lot of them.

and, lastly: being really happy that i don't have this fucked-up disease that makes you smell like dead fish.

1 comment:

lostsatellite said...

I'm glad you sent me a message about your blog, because I've been very lax in reading it these last several months...

I think it's great that the first post I see mentiones The Up Series...shortly after I learned about it, I decided that my selection for an item to be added to the library collection in honor of ten years working there was going to be The Up Series...and I made this decision based on a preview I saw on some other DVD for 42 Up and coming across the Racine Library having the complete series...I didn't even watch any of series before making the decision, but I think it was the absolute right one...right now it's on interlibrary loan to another library, so I feel even better about the selection...

but yes, I find the series really wonderful and astonishing...it's unfortunate that some people have dropped out, or that some only drop back in in order to fulfill their own agenda...but being able to check in with most of those people every seven years is really interesting...and for one of them to have emigrated to the States and be a professor in Madison (and still be there now) is really neat...

49 Up is coming out this fall, and I greatly anticipate it...it will be in theaters on October 6, and released on DVD shortly thereafter on November 14...I really hope it will play in a theater in Milwaukee so I can see it...heck, I'd even go to Chicago and see it if I can...