Wednesday, November 22, 2006

i love the mozzer


i have an ever-shrinking list of bands and musicians whom i have never seen in concert and really want to. other than people who are dead (kurt cobain, the beatles, jeff buckley, otis redding) and bands that are most likely to never reunite (the smiths), my list is getting short. radiohead. david gray. U2. ummmm . . . hmmm. i know that there are more, there must be, but those are the three that i most want to see.

i most likely wont ever get to see the smiths, but i had the next-best thing last night, as i saw morrissey play his only US tour date at the aragon. i love him; not the way that some people (like the flower-carrying girl in all black who was trying to talk her way past security last night before the show) worship him, but i do really love him. i was not disappointed at all. he looked gorgeous for pushing 50 (he took his shirt off and threw it into the audience before the encore, thus probably giving some arm cutter a new reason to live), he sounded great, and his band - six guys in matching vests and ties - were awesome. i don't have a lot of his new albums (he called ringleader of the tormentors "triple-platinum" - he was kidding) but he played a lot of old solo stuff and some rad old smiths songs - "panic," "girlfriend in a coma," "how soon is now," "every day is like sunday," "disappointed." i really wanted to hear "suedehead" (favorite morrissey song) or "stop me if you think that you've heard this one before," but the encore was "please please please let me get what i want this time," which is gorgeous and perfect. he changed the words to "let me get who i want/lord knows it would be the first time." loved it.

i drank a few beers and was so happy to be there with pos, and said all sorts of mushy shit to him, and he was like "did you eat dinner?" - meaning "are you drunk?" it was cute.

by the way, the opening act, kristeen young, was this horrible, loud, shrieky kate-bush-esque creepy girl on a keyboard with a drummer. ick.

read the sun-times review here.

also, i am fascinated by the fact that morrissey has a very strong and devoted mexican-american fan base, and i saw a large number of latinos at the show. chuck klosterman wrote a great article called "viva morrissey!" for spin that was later reprinted in a da capo best music writing anthology. i can't find the article anywhere online, other than the opening paragraph:

"People feel nervous around Cruz Rubio. That's unfair, but it's true. He looks like a badass: Dude is twenty years old, he's from East Los Angeles, the sleeves are ripped off his flannel shirt, and he looks like an extra from the movie Colors. I have no doubt whatsoever that he could kick the shit out of me on principle. But I am not nervous around Cruz Rubio. I am not nervous, because he is telling me how Morrissey makes him weep.

"'Some nights I lay in my bedroom and I listen to 'There Is a Light That Never Goes Out,' and I cry,' he tells me. 'I cry and cry and cry. I cry like a little bitch, man.'"

1 comment:

SarahReznor said...

I LOVE love love love Morrissey!!! I'm so jealous! my list just gets longer and longer... i did however see U2 :P