Saturday, January 02, 2010

i am literate: booksh i read in 2009


i need to stop reading books that i hate reading, know that they suck, and resent taking up time that could be spent reading things i actually like. here are the books i read, ranked in order of lovelovelove to utterly terrible.

the handmaid's tale - margaret atwood (how is it possible that i had never read this before?!?!)
life of pi - yann martel
a mercy - toni morrison
the best american nonrequired reading 2008
the lovely bones - alice sebold
so big - edna ferber
never let me go - kazuo ishiguro
the time traveler's wife - audrey niffenegger
fat pig: a play - neil labute
freakonomics: a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything - steven d. levitt
housekeeping vs. the dirt - nick hornby
ripped: how the wired generation revolutionized music - greg kot
how sassy changed my life: a love letter to the greatest teen magazine of all time - kara jesella
the contortionist's handbook - craig clevenger
the brief wondrous life of oscar wao - junot diaz
at weddings and wakes - alice mcdermott
the kite runner - khaled hosseini
the professor and the madman: a tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the oxford english dictionary - simon winchester
lowboy - john wray
cherry - mary karr
something borrowed - emily giffin
american wife - curtis sittenfeld
julie and julia: my year of cooking dangerously - julie powell (i fucking hated this book)

3 comments:

Mykljak said...

Niffenegger -- haha!

Clay said...

I read Handmaid's Tale also. It was my first Atwood book. I definitely want to try others this year. Everyone I know seems to have read The Blind Assassin.

Life of Pi is perpetually on my stack of books to read.

We have Oscar Wao but haven't read it yet.

And I loved Time Traveler's Wife so much it embarrasses me a little bit.

I gave Zach the new Julie Powell book for Christmas. I'll report back.

scissors happy said...

yes, michael, typing "niffenegger" made me vaguely uncomfortable.

as for you, clay, i ADORE margaret atwood. CAT'S EYE was the first novel that i read that wasn't for kids/middle schoolers and it remains one of my favorites. her short stories are great, too. BLIND ASSASSIN is a good one. i really recommend LIFE OF PI - totally addictive once you get going. i didn't think i would like it but i thought it was awesome. OSCAR WAO, not so much. i loved TTW so much i don't want to see that horseshit-looking movie they made. and julie powell is a hateful little creature and i am sad that you gave her money.